I’ve been getting an awful lot of phishing emails lately, but this one really tickled my funny bone
I used to imagine that some sweatshop hacker sat hunched over a keyboard somewhere, grinning maniacally as he/she sent out another virus laden email. But I suspect the reality is more like :
1. Unsuspecting Netizen enters his/her email address somewhere,
2. Said email address is tacked onto some database of addresses,
3. Said database is sold to malware distributors who then activate a program that sends out a hook email to every address in the database,
4. Neither the program nor the malware distributor care whether the hook is going to be ‘plausible’ to most addressees – e.g. why would I have signed up to digitally date women? [No offence to gay ladies!]
5. The rationale of these mass mailings is that out of all those millions, one or two will bite. They are the real targets. They will click on the link, their pc’s will become infected and the cycle of digital infection continues.
Anyway, that was not the post I meant to write, but who can resist a Russian bride?