Or the glitch that ate Christmas. 😉
I got up early this morning to bake the sponge component of my chocolate mousse cake, but as I reached for the first egg, I discovered that one of them must have leaked into the container because all the eggs on the bottom layer were stuck.
I managed to rescue enough eggs to make the sponge, but what was I going to do with the other eight?
Once the cake was in the oven, I tried soaking the eggs in cold water. Nope….
Next, I dragged out a big pot, poured in some water, placed the container in the pot and heated the whole thing:
I thought the hot water would dissolve the egg white, but no dice. When I tried to pull one of the eggs free, part of the shell stuck to the bottom. Luckily, by this time the eggs had half poached so I waited a bit longer and pulled the others off as well. Each one left a bit of its shell behind:
I finished boiling the rescued eggs in another pot, and this is what they look like:
Not sure what I’ll do with so many boiled eggs, but at least only two were wasted. And lesson learned: egg white makes a great glue. So great, in fact, that I had to excavate the bits of shell from the inside of the container. The cake turned out well though.
Hope you enjoyed this Christmas Glitch and have none of your own. 🙂